Information for authors
The submission of oral contributions is now closed.
Poster Submission is Still Open!
Only abstracts received until Sunday, May 15th, 2011 can be included in the conference book.
Late abstracts received after May 15th and until the beginning of the conference, may still be accepted (within the limit of available poster exhibition boards), however without any guarantee of being included in participants’ welcome package.
Important: Authors of accepted abstracts are kindly requested to complete their registration and pay the relevant fees before Friday, May 27th (missing payments at this date may involve the non inclusion of respective abstract(s) in the conference book and media).
New! Guidelines for preparing oral/poster presentations are now available: click here.
Abstracts must be submitted online (for details please refer to Submission page). The number of submissions is limited to 2 (two) per Submitting/Presenting Author, without limit as co-Author.
Important: To access the online submission platform you need to have pre-registered to Origins 2011 (see Registration page).
Topics open for Contributed communications
The list of topics follows the Conference scientific program. Please note that some of Origins 2011 Sessions/Topics will only accommodate Poster presentations.
T1. Origins: from Stars to Life
T2. Past and Present Solar System
T3. Early Earth Processes
T4. Prebiotic Chemistry
T5. Early and Minimal Life
T6. Biosignatures and Clues of Life
T7. Exoplanets and Habitability
T8. Evolutionary Perspectives: from Molecules to Biodiversity and Extraterrestrial Intelligence (*)
T9. Outreach, Education, History of Sciences (posters only!)
(*) in the submission form this topic title is abbreviated into « Evolutionary Perspectives… »
Preparation of Abstracts
Please read the following guidelines before starting online submission. Authors are requested to submit both an extended and a short version of their Abstract:
– the extended version as a one-page PDF file (to be included in electronic media only);
– the short version as a single, self-standing paragraph of limited size (the only one to appear in the printed Conference Book).
Nota: Origins 2011 Conference participants will be provided with Abstracts of presentations though the following media :
– the printed Conference book which will contain only short versions of all abstracts with succint Author information.
– an USB flash drive which will contain all Conference information (as of May 20th, 2011) including short and extended Abstracts.
– The online scientific program will also provide Abstracts, with last-minute updates.
The extended Abstract (one page) must be prepared according to the available MS Word abstract template (Authors not wanting to use MS Word can find complete printout specifications in this PDF template). Please also refer to provided example 1 (PDF) and example 2 (PDF). It will include: the title of the Contribution, list of Authors, list of Affiliations, e-mail address of correspondence Author (submitting Author), main Abstract text. It can optionnally include one illustration (or table) with its legend, and bibliographic references. Please keep all of the above items concise enough to house the whole in one A4 printed page (210×297 mm).
Please respect the layout of the provided abstract template (the same template applies for both Oral and Poster submissions).
– Contribution Title. The title of your contribution must be concise and informative.
– Authors, Organization(s), E-mail address The Submitting Author of an Origins 2011 contributed communication can be different from the Presenting Author; both of them can be at any position in the Author list. Please underline the name of the Presenting Author, and mark the Submitting/Correspondence Author with an asterisk (*). Organizations (if several) must be numbered with a superscript number after each Author name. Please keep the Organization data concise (name of institution/department, city, country); E-mail address: of Submitting Author only.
– Bibliography must be presented in the style of Origins of Life and Evolution of biospheres (OLEB): in-text « Author Year » citations inside round brackets (separated by semicolons if several). The list of bibliographic references must be sorted according to first Author / publication year (in case of ambiguity add lowcase letters a, b, c… to year on basis of alphabetical order of second, third etc authors), with basic reference style as follows: Author (Year) Title, Journal, Volume:Pages. doi: | Author (Year) Book title, Publisher, City, pages. | Author (Year) chapter title, In: Editor, Book title, Publisher, City, pages. See more detailed examples in this bibliography template (PDF).
– Illustration (optional). Please do not oversize the resolution of graphic material: at print size 150-200 dpi for photographs and 600-800 dpi for line drawing is usually enough. If you include color artwork, please consider that many readers will print it in greyscale: choose colors ensuring sufficient luminance contrast (e.g. yellow/blue gives better result than red/blue or blue/black).
Converting your Abstract to PDF. If using the available MS-Word abstract template, please convert your Word document to PDF (use preferentially professionnal software if available). The maximum accepted size of the PDF file is 3 Mbytes
Important: PDF files exceeding one page will be refused by Conference Chairs prior to reviewing by the Scientific Committee.
The short abstract (to be entered in the online submission form) will be the first contact of both Reviewers and Conference participants with your work. It should be a self-standing, concise, clear and appealing text without bibliographic citation (not a truncated or incomplete sentence), focusing the essential findings/concepts of your work. It should be complementary to the title of your contribution rather than paraphrasing it.
Format and size: the short Abstract must be unformatted text, of maximum length 500 characters including spaces and punctuation marks (special characters e.g. greek letters, math symbols…, are allowed).
To submit your Abstract, go to page: Abstract Submission
Reviewing of submitted Contributions
Submitted contributions will be peer-reviewed for acceptance by the Scientific Committee and Session Chairs. The decision of selecting a submitted contribution as Oral or Poster presentation, as well as the final choice of the most appropriate session, lie on the responsibility of the Scientific Committee, which will give the final decision by April 11th. The result of the selection of Oral/Poster presentations will then be communicated to Authors as soon as possible by e-mail and/or by login on the online submission platform.
Bid for presenting Authors to show-up at the Conference
If your abstract is accepted, please make sure that the Presenting Author has completed his/her registration and has paid the corresponding registration fees before Friday, May 27th, 2011.
Nota: Non payment of Conference registration fees by any of the co-Authors by May 27th, 2011, will involve the removal of the corresponding Abstract from the Conference Book and from Conference electronic media, and the replacement of the presentation (if accepted as Oral) by another.
For information regarding Origins 2011 scientific contributions, please contact Robert Pascal and Muriel Gargaud (Chairs of Origins 2011 Organizing Comittee).